View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 7:01 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
On the week of Thanksgiving, I want to thank all of the architects, developers, planners, construction workers, and people behind the scenes who have transformed the city I love. These are people and businesses from places including Philadelphia, Miami, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, NYC, Richmond, St. Louis, New Orleans, San Diego, Washington D.C., San Francisco, Chicago, and yes... from North Carolina, too. They looked at the buildings and sites in this city and saw the potential and worked hard to make this city's transformation happen. Next week, this thread will turn four years old. It is amazing to see what has happened in the past four years. Winston-Salem is one of the nation's greatest come-back stories. I also want to thank the many photographers and people sharing information on projects, who make this thread possible.

If you're new to this thread, give Winston-Salem a try. I think you will like it.
Video Link

And thank you to the people who let me know you're reading this. If you like it, let me know. I often think I'm not very good at this, since there is so little feedback or discussion.

418 North Marshall Street:
Work on the office space for creative companies should be completed in 7-10 days.

The next phase will likely bring an end to this popular dandelion fountain?

Credit: maudckelly

351 North Patterson:
WFIQ and Wexford Equities are working on plans for a centerpiece office and retail building at the corner of Fourth and Patterson, across from Bailey Park. Yes, this is the site across the street from Krankies. They are still early in the planning stages on this project, but it is expected to be something impressive. The office tenant will play a major role in the design and height. This is being described as if it could be a tall building, but there are no official floor counts or heights released? It is a small site. I guess we shall see happens. Sites fronting parks often are very attractive in downtown Winston-Salem. I really want to see this site filled-in.

Footnote:

Credit: Wilson-Covington

Hotel Indigo:
Hotel Indigo's General Contractor, Omega Construction, has announced they are moving their headquarters to Winston-Salem.

The Pepper Building is the future Hotel Indigo and the staging site is the future site for Hyatt Place Hotel:

Credit: kimba_is_great

Credit: winston_360

Gallery Lofts II:
Demolition has started for this apartment project. Workers will demolish these two old textile warehouses and replace them with a new 5-6 storey apartment building.

Credit: dashley253

In 2006, there was a plan to convert these two warehouses to condominiums. The Great Recession ended those plans and now an apartment developer is demolishing them for a taller new building.

Of course the roads and sidewalks are closed around this project:

Credit: thatoneguydan

Twin City Lofts Condominiums:

A couple looking at the poke & juice restaurant and Cycle Bar on the ground floor (opening in January 2018):

Credit: Fam Brownlee

Credit: vincerabil

Credit: susaninteriors

500 West Fifth Street:

Credit: brittanyanncourtney

Credit: tucker_smith01

Credit: pmlynchphotography

Downtown Hampton Inn & Suites:

Credit: vincerabil

Grayish-blue building on the center-left of the photograph:

Credit: nusdessik

Looking at the image above, I think the image below could be a few weeks old?

Credit: tucker_smith01

First Baptist Church Restoration:

Credit: scottglasson1

Sculpture from Eli Lilly & Company:
This is the research-themed sculpture gave to Winston-Salem by pharmaceutical giant Eli Lilly & Company. They also gave similar sculptures to Austin and Indianapolis. They will display the sculpture in the convention center for nine months before permanently installing the art in downtown's IQ District. It is made from 320 sculpted wood bricks. Massachusetts artist John Magnan designed and built the sculpture. It's an awesome gift to Winston-Salem and downtown's IQ District. Be sure to see it on your visit.

Credit: torishanks

Link Apartments Innovation Quarter:
According to Dr. Tomlinson, the retail spaces will open in Summer 2018. I was surprised by this, since the apartments won't be ready until Summer 2019.

Credit: Damon Lapas

Credit: Damon Lapas

It's on the far left side:

Credit: thinkdifferentyall

Credit: stlockwood

Credit: Wake Engineering

Cyclocross Bicycle Course:
These photographs show just how large this project is! These are UCI (Union Cycliste Internationale) courses. They said the site is close to several downtown breweries and should generate a large amount of business for them.

Credit: usnccws

Credit: usnccws

Credit: winstonsalemcyclocross

Cyclists ready to test ride the new course:

Cyclists ready to test ride the new course:

U.S. Olympic Cycling Training Center:

Floor plans are in the windows - The retail space is available for lease (Harris Teeter grocery store was very close to leasing this retail space):

Credit: rebekahrhoden

Bailey Business Center - Building 23-2: (Bailey Power Plant Complex)
Workers are installing more color-changing LED lighting. I think most of the current work is inside the building? Look for a big announcement, soon, on the other two buildings in the Bailey Power Plant Complex.

Credit: brittanyanncourtney

Credit: mshellsmith

I wish we had a larger photograph from this view:

Credit: Wake Engineering

Credit: rb8tey

Installing color-changing LED lighting on the latticework tower at Fourth Street:

Credit: synapse_designs

Installing color-changing LED lighting on the latticework tower at Fourth Street:

Credit: synapse_designs

Alternative Transportation:

Rails-to-Trails Bicycle Commuter Highway: (Winston-Salem's High Line)
This project was scheduled to be completed last month. It's now scheduled to be completed in Spring 2018. As you've already seen, people are already using it while it's still under construction.

Off-Subject:

Random Photographs:

This Chinese restaurant, on the outer edge of the city, appears to have sat vacant for years:

Downtown storefront window display:

Credit: violasbabygirlsventures

Credit: stjulien

Downtown Skyline from a Hawthorne Hill skyscraper:

Credit: emilyjowall