View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 15, 2010, 5:04 PM
Citizen-at-large

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_jeffrey View Post
The problem is that none of these activities are unique to Ottawa...

- Any bar downtown any time the Habs or Leafs win (and you don't have to drive 45 minutes for the enjoyment!)
- Any St-Jean-Baptiste day

To be a great city, Ottawa will need to get a) a real transportation system (that means deemed as essential service and be actually rapid) b) a vivid cultural scene (a few plays and shows is not that) c) unique restaurants (that is one that is definitely getting there) d) rid of public servants e) more immigrants
Of course there are many things Ottawa needs, and I am hoping it will get, so that it can become a great(er) city. In fact, I agree with almost every item on your list (the exceptions are b - we have quite a vivid cultural scene, and changing d to "diversify the economy", because public servants are in many ways a great thing to have, it is just their dominance that is a problem).

That said, I think it needs to be emphasized that this place has alot of potential, is currently on the track to becoming more urban and acquiring more of a 'big city' feel, but already IS EXCITING in it's own right. Does it have to be more exciting than every other place in order to hold this title? No. But should it be derided as boring when it's anything but? NO.

Also, the 300,000 to 500,000 people downtown every Canada Day is entirely unique to Ottawa.

Last edited by Ottawan; Feb 15, 2010 at 5:19 PM.