View Single Post
Old Posted May 3, 2016, 6:50 PM

Interesting indeed, regarding Telus, CoryB

Funny enough they have some of the highest fees in Alberta all in (as do Bell and Rogers, but those two can be more lenient with giving away SIM cards or waiving connection fees; Telus seems to get every single penny out of you...took my cousin to a Telus kiosk the other day to get him a SIM card and we were blown away that Telus was asking 20$ for a SIM card...meanwhile Koodo, whom they also own, asked for 5$ lol)

AB pricing is ~2x what one would pay in MB, present day, for the same features. Its ridiculous. On top of that, all the "big 3" recently increased their monthly costs too (not sure if that happened in MB).

One need to look pretty much anywhere outside Canada to see how much we way relative to other countries; I know there are reasons for that with us being larger, less densely population, and 3 providers with a monopoly but I've been used to pricing in Europe, where plans have significantly more value and are cheaper than they are in Canada. And actual, real prepaid plans are offered unlike the "prepaid monthly" stuff we get here. Granted, Europe is smaller, has more competition across the continent, and has always been very connected with cell phones - even back in the early 2000's people could send texts to Newscasts and Music Video channels and Talk shows and the like, something which has only recently happened in Canada (the modern day version being live twitter posts and things like that)