View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 18, 2011, 6:01 PM
legalize it-0'0" setbacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Econgrad View Post
Uh, unlike both of you, I have been on the HSR in Japan. I lived in Japan. You need to go there and see what I mean. It will never happen here. Also, The trains do not touch the tracks, they sort of float above them on a magnetic field. They also exceed 120mph and faster. Blow the tracks in front of it, you have no survivors. I would stick to Jay Walking, I do not believe you know what your talking about when it comes to homeland security issues.

This HSR is a nice fantasy, but the reality is economics. Cars create a higher standard of living. The automobile is the most efficient way of travelling. In emergencies, rubber tires and concrete roads are the best way to get to you. The USA will never live in the boxes they call home in Japan, and no way will be give up our freedom of movement, granted to us by the automobile. You will also see that the $40 billion dollar price tag will move up to $100 billion after a few years. Good luck on selling that to tax payers.
The type of train that floats above the track magnetically is called a Maglev (electromagnetic levitation). California HSR will not be maglev. Japan has a small demonstration maglev line, but most of their high-speed passenger trains use standard gauge track. Sorry Econgrad, I can tell you don't like being told you're wrong, but I have to break it to you. You are.

Why do you say that cars are the most efficient way of traveling? Efficient in what way? When I see a big car driving down the road with ONE person in it, I do not see efficiency. A motorcycle is much more efficient in that respect. A car with 4 passengers and a trunk full of luggage is totally efficient. Trains can transport people efficiently too. They are also a pleasant way to travel between cities. Not everyone loves to drive like you do. Freedom is the ability to choose to drive a car or to take the train, and for both options to be viable. You have a lot to learn Econgrad. Also I find many of the articles you post to be extremely biased and lacking in factual information.