View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 2, 2010, 8:22 AM

Some pics of Long Beach.

Long Beach Municipal Auditorium, 1940

USC archive

Long Beach Municipal Auditorium, 1930

USC archive

Long Beach Municipal Auditorium, 1938
This is the front entrance. Before the auditorium was demolished, the mosaic in that recess of the arch was saved and is now on the side of a parking structure.

lapl.org

Long Beach Municipal Auditorium and Rainbow Pier, 1946. Here you can see why the Rainbow Pier was called the Rainbow Pier.

USC archive

Long Beach Convention Center, 1968

USC archive

This picture is amazing to me because I can see where the municipal auditorium once stood in relation to what's there today. I wasn't aware that when the Long Beach Arena was built, it was connected to the Municipal Auditorium. This site is now the Long Beach Convention and Entertainment Center, with the very 1970s Terrace Theater now occupying where the Municipal Auditorium once stood, and the Convention Center exhibit space occupying buildings adjacent to the theater.

The Municipal Auditorium was demolished in 1975. I don't know when the Rainbow Pier met its demise; that beach area was drastically altered when the LA/Long Beach harbors built their breakwaters. Also, that area was filled in with landfill and to build the convention center and adjacent downtown Long Beach marina. Shoreline Drive is now in that area, too, where of course Long Beach holds its annual Grand Prix.

~ Charles Bukowski