View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Count me as one suburbanite who's positively enthralled by it, and will be there on or shortly after opening day to experience it. Believe it or not, we have to have SOMEWHERE to go with our SUVs and sometimes we do bring the Hummer into downtown.

I think this is a perfect balance between style and practicality. I know some of you are disappointed about no arch, no bend, but to be honest I much prefer it this way. Straight and to the point. Wheelchair accessible, and bicycle-friendly. And it doesn't meander all over the damn place trying to look "cool".

A lot of people dislike these fancy bridges for exactly those reasons - they are a pain in the arse because you have to walk twice as far just to get somewhere, or hump over stairs, or what have you. I bet many of the folks complaining about this bridge before would have complained twice as loud if this sucker had a huge bend in the middle - so hopefully this wins over a few more fans.

I also like how it ties in with what seems to be Calgary's colours. A nice bright red is fantastic in a city composed (most months) of brown, brown, and more brown, with the occasional blue-green glass on a highrise. Plus, red against the bright blue of the Bow will look fantastic.

Two thumbs up!
sorry, i know that a lot of people on this board do live in the suburbs, but really appreciate architecture as well...my generalization is just that...

i am hopeful that the bridge, once built (knock on wood), will change people's minds...