View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 10, 2004, 1:38 AM
LA: America's Second City

I must admit that I prefer LBTC to The Pike.

I have often used LBTC to meet with family driving up from OC. It is a convenient midway point and parking is FREE. Sometimes the parking situation is not the easiest, but it just means you have to park farther away. Also, the Edwards cinema is far larger than the Cinemark theater, so no matter when you arrive you have a better selection of movies playing within a reasonable timeframe. There are also more affordable eateries at LBTC and diverse, while at The Pike it seems to be more continental. Last, almost to be ironic, I would say the center of LBTC is more pedestrian friendly than the Pike. The Pike has little streets running through it, it is a very strange setup. I was very excited long before The Pike opened, but after I visited it just once, I was severely let down. The whole orientation of the place is very backwards. Hopefully some renovations soon will save the place.

Downtown Long Beach seems to be the area that almost succeeds, while never completely achieving its goal. I do think the increasing residential population and the newer cruise ship terminal should help each of the area's elements work together.