View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 16, 2008, 1:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXlifeguard View Post
Let's not go gettin all giddy and start makin' gate space for 'em just yet.

Article says they 'want to' start service.

And that's if the other route (Houston-Toluca) gets regulatory approval. Then they can pursue a SAT-Toluca route. I would imagine there's some paperwork involved in that route as well. Will they come here eventually? Hope so. But it's premature to say Toluca is a new international destination from SAT. Cause it's not.
I do agree that Toluca is not yet a destination for San Antonio, but IMO I think it's a very real possibility and I think you may see it happening sooner rather than later.

The article I posted above is a little misleading (to me anyway) because it makes it sound like Interjet has only applied for two routes (Ontario-Toluca and Houston-Toluca) Having read the article, it left me with the impression that once those routes had been approved, then and only then would Interjet go back and apply for San Antonio-Toluca, Houston-Guadalajara and Houston-Monterey flights.

Having done a little more research, that is not the case.

Interjet has applied for all 5 routes (including San Antonio-Toluca) in their initial filing with the Department of Transportation. The filing was done on June 17.

link to DOT filing

Link to exhibits concerning the DOT filing

(After going to the above links, you can click on the icon to the left of "Views" to view the actual document.)

Fast forward to August 7, 2008. The DOT has given it's tentative approval for Interjet to start these routes.

Link

Quote:
ACCORDINGLY,

1. We grant the request of ABC Aerolineas, S.A. de C.V. d/b/a Interjet for an exemption under 49 U.S.C. §40109 to permit it to engage in scheduled foreign air transportation of persons, property, and mail between: 1) Toluca, Mexico, and Ontario, California; 2) Toluca, Mexico, and Houston, Texas; 3) Toluca, Mexico, and San Antonio, Texas; 4) Guadalajara, Mexico, and Houston, Texas; and 5) Monterrey, Mexico, and Houston, Texas;
The only thing I'm not clear on is when the final approval would take place. If you read the DOT's response it notes

7. Our action with respect to this foreign air carrier permit should, unless disapproved by the President of the United States under §41307 of Title 49 of the U.S. Code, become effective on the 61st day after its submission for §41307 review, or upon the date of receipt of advice from the President or his designee under Executive Order 12597 and implementing regulations that he or she does not intend to disapprove this portion of the Department’s decision under that section, whichever occurs earlier.

It notes that other parties have until August 28, 2008 to file comments and/or objections. If there are no objections received by August 28, I believe that is when DOT would submit the application for §41307 review and if approved, it would be effective 61 days after that date, which would be around the end of October.

Although Interjet and Viva Aerobus are both ultra-low cost carriers, Interjet's been around a little bit longer. They started operations in December 2005, while Viva Aerobus started operations in November of 2006.

From a customer service standpoint, Interjet appears to be head and shoulders above Viva Aerobus.

Just one example is the fleets used by each carrier.

Viva Aerobus currently has 9 737-300's that have an average age of 21.6 years

Viva Aerobus fleet information

After going to the above link, you see delivery dates from 2006 to 2008, but those are the dates the planes were delivered to Viva Aerobus. If you click on each of the 9 registration numbers you can see when the planes was actually manufactured. They were all built between 1985 and 1988 and most of them came to Viva Aerobus from US Airways.

Compare that to Interjet's fleet They have 13 Airbus A320 jets with an average age of 4.7 years. The oldest one was built in 1999. Six others were built in 2000. These 7 planes were previously owned by other airlines. Of the remaining six aircraft, four were built in 2007, and the last two were built in 2008.

Back in 2005, Interjet signed an agreement with Airbus with 10 firm orders and 10 more options. The first of the firm orders were to be delivered in the second quarter of 2007. These are the six newer aircraft built in 2007 and 2008 and four more remain to be delivered.

Although this promotional video is in Spanish, part of it shows the interiors of Interjet's planes. Looks pretty nice to me.

Another tidbit - Interjet mainly flies out of Toluca, which I believe is about 50 miles from Mexico City. But recently (as in the last two weeks) I've read articles that they now have the right to fly out of Mexico City. Here's one of them.

Interjet Buys Rights To Use Mexico City Airport - Chairman

Quote:
MEXICO CITY -(Dow Jones)- Mexican low-cost airline Interjet has purchased the rights of troubled carrier Aerocalifornia to operate from the Mexico City International Airport, Chairman Miguel Aleman said in a radio interview Thursday.

Federal regulators suspended Aerocalifornia last week after the company failed to meet a deadline to pay 259.6 million pesos ($25.9 million) in fees dating back to 2005.

In an interview with Mexico's Radio Formula, Aleman said Interjet is "making an important effort" - including ordering more planes - to offer service at the Mexico City airport, by far the country's busiest.

"Sometimes problems bring opportunities, so instead of hunkering down until the storm passes we want to stand up to face it," Aleman said, adding that Interjet plans to begin flying out of Mexico City in mid-August.

The airline, like most other low-cost carriers, currently serves Mexico City via the nearby Toluca airport, which charges lower fees. Aleman said Interjet will continue with its operations in Toluca.

Aleman didn't say how much Interjet paid Aerocalifornia for access to Mexico City.
It will be interesting to see how all this works out - even more so considering that Southwest has said in recent articles that they are looking for a Mexican codeshare partner.