View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 11:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
^^^Don't blame me. I voted to keep the freeway--3 times to my best recollection. As I expected, the result has been terrible for traffic (Gough is now traffic chocked where it wasn't before) but I have to admit it's been wonderful for the neighborhood. And as I keep telling you, the buildings I specified above are built on old freeway right-of-way as will be some new ones soon to be built between Market and Haight along the eastern side of Octavia Blvd.

By the way--they aren't going to redesign it--locals love it. They may modify a few things--like I also said, maybe they'll make turns onto the freeway from Market legal--but nothing major.
I would still vote to tear the freeway down. It was a horrible presence for the neighborhood, have you lived in Hayes Valley? I used to work right at Fell and Laguna. The post- freeway plans, however, are the problem, not the missing freeway itself.

I really do like the aesthetic of the Octavia Blvd, but I think they got too ahead of themselves in trying to assimilate something Parisian into an American city, which is now obvious why it shouldn't be done again. European city planning just doesn't work here, we need something for US.