View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubguy3 View Post
Sure, 2%. Golf is an example of a sport that requires a lot of money to invest in equipment, fees, etc. - like Polo, Sailing, car racing, etc. - this alone leads many people to shy away from golfing. Its very much a "1%" sport.

I would be okay with large swaths of land being used up for golf, but the problem is that

1. we can't afford to water golf courses

2. if 170 acres of land in the east bench are accessible only to people who are there to pay to play golf, then I'm not okay with it. Its open space, but its not being preserved as a natural gem or a park. Therefore, it isn't really public land, and that's why I'm not okay with the large amount of land golf has swallowed up in SLC - especially when SLC has a lower area of parks per capita than other large cities. You shouldn't have to pay to get into a park. Golfing is entirely suited to suburban settings, not the east bench.
Half of my Instagram feed is filled with people at TopGolf in Midvale. That style of golf seems to be really appealing to a lot of different crowds.

And totally agree with you Utah_Dave^. Too many attractions in SLC seem to get built in the foothills. The zoo. The Natural History Museum. The Musuem of Fine Art (U of U). They even put huge hospitals up there on the mountain for some reason. Would love to see more of those things get built downtown, or even placed in the city's more urban parks.

www.UtahProjects.info