View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah_Dave View Post
While maybe the Zoo isn't all that feasible, I like where your heads at. Salt Lake needs some sort of attraction downtown other then a shopping center or mall. I don't think we will ever get the same kind of night life and vibe as some of our larger neighbors like Denver and definitely not Vegas but I think we can create our own identity and build on the recreation theme of the State by building a world class Gym/recreation center in the downtown area. At one point envision Utah had it as a bullet point in its vision and I think now would be an excellent time to move on a project like that. I could see the LDS church playing a role.
And when I say gym, I don't mean just some equipment and a work out area. I'm talking a mix of indoor and outdoor activities possibly mixed with some large open green space areas or at least adjacent to some existing green space. If you could show the big 5 national parks and a world class gym/recreation center on a national advertisement campaign I think it could generate some buzz even nationally and give outsiders a different perspective of our unique little city. i think a project like this would do wonders in drawing people downtown, especially the younger crowd.
Maybe we should use City Creek Water to build a small Reservoir in the empty lot on North Temple. We could also build a rock climbing wall out of actual stone put a bit of the canyon right downtown . Throw our own damn outdoor retailers. I'll bet our legislature would fund it. They would love nothing more than to stick it to outdoor retailer for telling them what to think.