View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 10, 2009, 2:25 AM

Wherever possible, I've tried to completely separate commuter/interurban/regional lines from freight lines. I want to avoid scheduling conflicts. I don't think there's a need for redundant regional lines, and fewer track-kms should reduce maintenance costs, the cost to electrify the system, and increase frequencies on alignments that are shared between routes. This forces a few choices: Central Valley or Burrard Inlet, North Fraser/Marine Way or the parallel alignment in Richmond, Southern or the tracks along the Fraser, and Crescent Beach or 152nd. Some routes, especially a few hundred metres in Maple Ridge, would need to be expanded to accommodate freight on separate tracks.

The designation between regional and LRT is a bit subjective, but I'm going with train type. For regional trains, I have Bombardier Talent DMUs in mind. Ottawa uses them on their LRT system. They're much smaller than WCE trains, and I think they would be acceptable on the Arbutus corridor/North Fraser alignment as long as they're slow enough in residential areas. I don't think these trains would be appropriate on street anywhere, for example on 152nd in South Surrey.
http://www.bombardier.com/en/transpo...01260d80010343

The route between Abbotsford and Langley parallels an old rail ROW, but only uses it when near Aldergrove. The Scott Road/Braid tunnel is the most expensive component. Otherwise, all the other regional routes use existing rights-of-way.

The purple line in Surrey/North Delta is on Scott Road, and it's meant to target strip malls for redevelopment. It's shown on 96th Avenue but 100th might be a workable alternative. In any case, there aren't any large strip malls on Scott Road north of 96th or on 100th, and there is one on 96th half way between Scott Road and King George. A 104th alignment between Scott Road and King Geroge would add unnecessary hills, and it would be less direct from Scott Road south of 96th to Surrey Central than a 96th Avenue alignment.

I agree there could be fewer stations on the Squamish regional line. It could also be removed altogether because it's much less important than other lines.

I made it in Inkscape.

Matsqui isn't important. It could be removed. The 6 to Chilliwack is infrequent like the Squamish or Seattle trains. One of the areas that I think is underserved in the map is the 200th Street corridor in Langley. It's an area that's going to grow quickly. But I don't foresee it being possible to extend light rail over the Golden Ears to Maple Ridge, so the 200th Street route is shown as a B-Line.