View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 5:29 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
In the last three decades, I suppose I've been to 100, maybe 150 meetings on new developments in the central city. At only four of those did I feel there was any chance to alter, much less block, what was on the table.

By the time developers are willing to have a public meeting, they're way too invested to change anything about the project. Once in a blue moon, the howls of protest from voters are so loud that the alderman will take notice and push back at the developer or the mayor's office. And in some outlying wards, aldermen do engineer more early negotiation with residents. But this idea that NIMBYs (or even aldermen) somehow determine what gets built, at least in the central area, is a complete chimera, a mythical creature found only in this forum.
For you to state that it is not aldermen that decide exactly what gets built in any part of the city - especially in the central area where such a high percentage of what gets built seems to be through PDs - is patently preposterous (it is not developers exerting their influence, it is in fact aldremen - LVDW gets this exactly right). You must realize this....Are you screwing with us again? Going to give me a complex or something.....

Last edited by SamInTheLoop; Jan 24, 2014 at 5:48 PM.