View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 25, 2012, 5:34 AM

i'm so happy for the 'ham. uab is beginning to make the city's south end look like a completely different place. considering my conservative tastes, generally, i am really drawn to the apple green building w/ the brown trim. it really pops in that area. i also agree w/ one of the posters and the use of so much of the midwest pairie design. memphis is getting its share in the city proper, as well as a good amount in the suburbs. i also agree about building these huge buildings in one story design, when they could save so much lot and acreage. examples for a few of baffling projects in memphis is the fedex school of technology, and then the fedex campus of 8 huge 4 level buildings arranged somewhat in a circular fashion, connected w/ atriums, etc. they have a campus w/ hotels, golf course, condos, water fountains, etc. it would have been so much better to put the global headquarters (fortune 500) downtown, and build their custom skyscraper of about 40+ stories. it would have save over 100 acres for administrative services only. payroll occupies an 8 story building in the 240 corridor in east memphis, other divisions are occupying about 340,000 sq ft off nonconnah blvd, and then their is the super hub sorting facility #1 and the new facility that is just being started on democrat road. lenox corporate 7 building at 7 floors each, instead of a skyscraper, medtronic about the same setup, along w/ smith and nephew, servicemaster, and so many more. no wonder people look at memphis and wonder why its cbd is so small compared to its population.

i absolutely would love to have some of the buildings in the cbd in the 'ham. the harbart building for one. of course, when i lived there i attended the cathedral of the advent, so i would take that beautiful little jewel (actually 7th largest episcopal parish in the u.s.) then i sneak over and take the beautiful st. paul's, and my very favorite downtown church, 1st prebysterian. they don't make them like that anymore. old red alabama dirt bricks. i even like the galleria setup and the winfrey hotel. look how how that is and is still has a tremendous draw, and practically looks as if it were built last year. i like the ex-schruchie? building on 31 (31 may not be the right junction.) the summit is great. then you start into all of the beautiful parts of shelby county and greystone. and---forever mountain brook!!! there is so much more than what gets told about b'ham.

one question, what is the club that is down just south of the main street for the antique shops? many of the shops went out of business, but this place is catering to young professionals, it is on the right side of the street heaing south, just as you pass the redlight at 22 or something along there. it was really popular about 3 years ago, right below i left. may be one street over right or left of the gay bar down on the corner