View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 4:39 AM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texcitement View Post
True. But acknowledging your (or your city's) faults is part of what builds the charm of someone/someplace. I'm a transplant from a city far more cosmopolitan than Atlantans think of their city. There are great areas of Atlanta. But there's also a fakeness that we see a bit in Texas, but really just in Plano. Frisco has a little bit more of it, but even Frisco don't think they're 'all that'. In many ways, Nashville takes it queues from Dallas, more than any other SOuthern city. Some may call it "hicktown". Be that as it may, it's also not "thugtown" either. Last time I was at Perimeter Mall (years ago) some teenagers were shouting at each other and pushing each other. A girl was pushed into me. She looked at me with utter disdain and shouted "get out of my space!" I said, don't worry and walked the other way... out of there.
Right, there are bad things about Atlanta and great things about Atlanta, and the same could be said for any city, I think. But as you alluded to, I think when locals are realistic and honest about their city's shortcomings I think it helps to lend a sense of comfortable authenticity to a place, which is part of what makes Nashville attractive to many people, in my opinion, as opposed to some of the places you mentioned (Orange County, CA is another one,) which sometimes feel like you're just stuck in a never-ending episode of "Real Housewives." lol

-Bob Marley