View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 4:13 AM
Fourth and Main

A big update this week! It's exciting, as you can see in the above post!

50 West Fourth Apartments:
Construction workers have now closed the sidewalks and all parallel parking spaces along the side of the streets at 50 West Fourth Street, so be prepared for this, if you visit.

525@Vine:
600 Workers and 1,200 students should start their move into this building in a few weeks. A health/fitness club has just recently opened on the ground floor, if you're interested in working-out in the IQ District... and seeing the inside of this building. I've seen this building called "The Tower Building" by some sources? What is the correct name? Developer BioMed Realty Trust is calling it 525@Vine?

Source: Fox 8

Plant 64 Lofts:
These apartments should be ready by this fall!

Source: Fox 8

A $2 million street scape project will completely transform the ugly street scape, by burying power lines, building new sidewalks, adding new "contemporary" LED streetlights, and burying new fiber lines.

Bailey Park at East End:
Yes, the fences are up and construction is underway at Bailey Park at East End! Did you know: Winston-Salem has nearly 60 acres of park space planned or under construction right now! The IQ District, where Bailey Park at East End is located, will have a large collection of inter-connected park spaces designed around walking, cycling, and a "future" light rail system.

All Images by Fox 8 unless otherwise noted.

Observe how rough Winston-Salem's terrain is (above). It should be interesting to see what the finished project looks like, with the terrain issues in the park. I think the steep terrain can look great, with the right park design.

You can see (above) part of the Bailey Power Plant Entertainment Center project, across from the park.

Eric is blocking the view of Bailey Park at East End.

Inmar Headquarters:
Since TwinCity already posted on it, I moved it down further on the list. Inmar has officially opened their new headquarters. We can now remove it from the construction list. It's an adaptive reuse project, converting a mid-century modern industrial building to Class A tech office space, in downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District. As always, we will share completion photographs. The building was designed for 1,500 employees. Currently, nearly 1,000 workers have moved into this building and more will move in soon (see hiring paragraph below).

Credit: Inmar Intelligent Commerce Networks

What does the inside of a tech company's trendy adaptive reuse office look like? The roof has several large skylights, so natural light floods the space.

The walls of the original industrial building are on display, through a glass atrium, like a museum piece.

Source: American City Business Journals

This (above) is an innovation lab, used to demonstrate how Inmar technology can be applied to a business.

Inmar Hiring:
Looking for a job in downtown Winston-Salem? Inmar is hiring 31 new workers at their new downtown headquarters. They have recently hired 70 new workers in the past month or two. They are programing/IT/computer science jobs, if you're interested. This company is always hiring. When these jobs are filled, they will likely have 100 more job openings. If this is your field and you want to move to downtown Winston-Salem, contact them about a job. Again, they are always hiring.

More New Jobs:
One or two more companies are interested in building in Winston-Salem. I'm not sure who they are or how many jobs, but they are seeking job creation and investment incentives.

Sculpture at the Ballpark:
Thank you to Soulshine at WSTB for sharing this: A new sculpture of kids reaching for a high-flying baseball was created for the entrance to BB&T Ballpark. I don't have any photographs of it, but may have something to share on my next update? The home opener is still a few days away.

City Slogan:
Would you like to submit an idea for a city slogan? Call the city and suggest it: (336) 734-1400

Phuzz Phest Independent Music Festival:
It's this weekend! Don't miss it. Phuzz Phest features a variety of bands from No Age, to Jessica Lea Mayfield, to Trioscapes, and Kool Keith. You can also see international performers, such as the Boogarins from GoiĆ¢nia, Brazil. Tickets are $20 per day or $50 to see any band you like for the entire multi-day event. Visit Reanimator sci-fi bookstore on Patterson Avenue, across from the Bailey Power Plant in downtown's IQ District, for the $50 wristbands.

Second Sundays On Fourth:
Help make SSO4 an event series known all over the Southeast for attracting phenomenal musical acts. If you love downtown Winston-Salem (and if you're reading this, you do!) give what you can to help support them!

Donate: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/7...tributions/new

This is your chance to do something good for downtown. SSO4 is a pet friendly and young family friendly event.

Credit: SSO4

Alleycat Bike Race:
The Alleycat Bike Race is this Saturday, at Krankies Coffee. The event raises money for the Winston-Salem Bike Co-op and all of the great things they do for Winston-Salem's cycling community. This time of year is a great time to take the bicycle out for a ride in Winston-Salem. Take advantage of the many bike related events.

Winston-Salem Bike Co-op

Bike or Walk to Work:
This was in last month's newsletter and I thought those interested in moving to this city would enjoy reading this. Yes, Winston-Salem has a division of their planning department for bicycling/walking and Winston-Salem really wants you to walk, take transit, or bike to work. They are willing to do what it takes.

Source: City of Winston-Salem

Last edited by Matthew; Apr 1, 2014 at 4:42 AM.