View Single Post
Old Posted May 2, 2014, 3:54 AM
Fourth and Main

Welcome to Winston-Salem: City of Adaptive Reuse!

Hotel Monaco: (I'm guessing Monaco?)
Josh Ward of Cushman & Wakefield has reported that upscale boutique hotel developer Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants Group LLC of San Francisco is buying the historic 23-storey Reynolds Building. It will likely become Hotel Monaco? They have also formed a partnership with PMC Property Group of Philadelphia to add luxury apartments to their hotel property. This will become an amazing hotel. It was a "blank check" project in 1927 for Shreve Lamb & Harmon architects for a major company with products that helped define the jazz/swing age. This building has gold and silver ceilings, rare metals, marble everywhere, art deco murals, art deco glass, and a beautifully detailed art deco facade. This is the best skyscraper in the state and a real prize for Kimpton Hotels. I'm guessing the hotel will open in early 2016?

Source

Old Salem Museums & Gardens:
This historic neighborhood said over 300,000 people visited last year! Only around a third actually paid for tour tickets though. If you buy a ticket, you can see inside a few select buildings they own and visit their museums.

Forsyth County Sheriffs Department:BUILT!
A large adaptive reuse project just open today! The Forsyth County Sheriffs Department reuses an old banking data center building.

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...62e2.image.jpg
Credit: David Rolfe - Journalnow

Raymond Loewy Building:
Richmond Primoid Inc., was awarded a contract of $277,582.71 to restore the exterior of the Raymond Loewy Building.

Credit: WSTB

At one time, this 1920s art deco building was North Carolina's most upscale department store, with valet parking (the building was designed with parking in the basement) and the store had people to model the clothes for customers! You wouldn't see all the sizes on a rack. Someone had to model it for you and find your size in an employees only back room, if you liked it. Sosnik's Department Store was originally designed by Northrup & O'Brien in the 1920s, but was remodeled by the upscale department store in the 1940s, when they hired the famed streamline designer Raymond Loewy to completely redesign the inside of the store and update the main entrance. The building was featured in the magazine Interior Design and their photographs are in the Library of Congress for everyone to see. I'm not a fan of what he did on the outside and wish someone would remove Loewy's renovation and restore the original art deco.

Last edited by Matthew; Jan 29, 2017 at 4:10 AM.