View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 11:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
How do you know where the shadows will be cast at various times of the year? You appear to be speculating a lot, not just about Skye's shadowing effects but about the possibility of other buildings nearby.

Even if they toss out the ramparts bylaw there will still be viewplanes. There's a big viewplane running from the Skye site to the Maritime Centre, so tall buildings cannot be built in that area regardless of whether or not Skye is approved. There's another big viewplane running next to the TD building. You are wrong to suggest that the ramparts bylaw is somehow necessary to save the downtown area from a wall of buildings. The ramparts bylaw is basically useless in that regard because it does nothing to prevent, say, a giant row of Purdy's Wharf-style towers running all the way down the waterfront.

As for the shadow stuff, how about you wait until there is actual concrete data available?
I do not at all need concrete data to surmise about the 'shadow stuff'.

Anyone who has visited the waterfront during the late afternoon has the ability to become aware of the shadow casted by the Maritime Centre, so I am simply speculating based on this. Pondering development possibilities is what mostly takes place in forum discussion, you have to admit. This is not a bad thing. The developer is unlikely to provide this concrete data anytime soon, if at all.

Given how long I've been reading comments on this forum, and what I've read on municipal websites...yes, I am aware of the numerous viewplanes. I have read HRMbyDesign documents. The removal of the rampart by-laws, I've implied, would have an enormous effect on the continued support of the viewplanes. The reality may be that this is not be the case, but given the push for height in Halifax and that the viewplanes are more restrictive than the rampart heights, I suspect they'd all be discontinued eventually.