View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 10, 2009, 1:51 PM
Corporate logo

Hey gang, thanks for the responses. I should mention now that this will be a FIVE part series and I want to roll them out on a biweekly basis with an emphasis on a different section of historic (and beautiful) Chestnut Hill, Philadelphia. For those of you who've never been to the Hill, it's well worth exploring. Great shopping along Germantown Avenue, hiking around the Wissahickon Gorge and gawking at the jaw-dropping mansions of yesteryear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsule F View Post
Great part fo town, doesn't feel like Philadelphia but it definitely is.
Probably because Chestnut Hill was a "suburb" in the city from early on. Since the train ride into town was prohibitively expensive, only the richest city residents could move out to Chestnut Hill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyRising View Post
Awesome thread Swiney!

I was born in Chestnut Hill. Unfortunetly I had to go live in Norristown.
Dang, you need to move back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
awesome tour! outside of center city, chestnut hill is hands down the most beautiful neighborhood in philly. with private boys and girls academies, a private college, a community hospital, country club, train station, walkable, tree-lined streets, thriving, cobblestone commercial street, a small park and the huge wissahickon park, and easy access (by train, bus, or car) to center city, it really is the perfect "suburb".

swiney - don't forget about the significant amount of modern architecture (mostly frank lloyd wright) and the incredible mansions along crefield street (near bells mills) that overlook wissahickon park.
Thanks, McBane, although we will be seeing some modern architecture on upcoming tours, Frank Lloyd Wright did not design any buildings in Philadelphia proper. Louis Kahn and Robert Venturi did design some houses in Chestnut Hill and you will see those later.