View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
Wrong.
I don't understand what I'm wrong about. Again, South Korea has a declining population, low birth rate, and low in-migration. Even the urban population is shrinking. It has a small population relative to that of Japan. Birthrate is barely over 1, and population expected to decline about 15% over the next few decades.

Busan is a small city about the population of Minneapolis. Relative density is irrelevant; no one builds supertalls due to urbanized population area densities, as supertalls are inherently less efficient than regular highrises.

The Japanese stuff you mentioned are either crazy proposals from 25-30 years ago or television towers, neither of which really are relevant.

I am not challenging this construction, or saying anything negative about it, I'm just trying to understand the background behind South Korea's tower proposals. There are usually special circumstances around such impressive proposals, as we see in places like China and Dubai. It could just be that the corporations in Korea see these towers as essentially marketing tools for their firms, and South Korea does have a strong economy, so maybe the combination of these two factors are the main driving points?