View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aic4ever View Post
Because when tourists think "Chicago," they think of our glorious history of public housing!
I think that any history at all, including the negative, can be a boon for the city economically. Look at capone tours. Obviously a public housing museum would bring in a more intellectual crow (even better in my opinion) and I second what Nowhereman says, Chicago has a unique social history and hopefully this museum would bring attention to that. Maybe it will cover the attempts of Atrium Village to create a truly diverse neighborhood as well. Much like the holocaust museums and monuments spread across Germany (or in DC or Skokie for that matter), these kinds of things bring tourists, just with a different intent (maybe spending pattern) than those who go to Michigan Ave and Navy Pier.

*I'm not claiming that public housing was the same as the Holocaust or that Germany has holocaust memorials to garner tourist dollars, but merely pointing out that people do visit somber places while out of town.*
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton