View Single Post
Old Posted May 11, 2012, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHickman View Post
You'll never get Anglophone Southwest & West New Brunswick to agree to this. Ever. There's a feeling down here that the Acadiens are the reason why New Brunswick has toiled for so long, so enforcing French on their children in school to that degree just isn't going to happen. Of course, Saint John is bitter at anyone or thing that isn't Saint John, so getting it to agree to any sort of equal representation throughout the province isn't going to sail.
I know language is a passionate and inflammatory subject to access in NB more so than in Quebec, where in my opinion the vast majority of the youngest generation speak both languages to begin with.

However, forcing both languages to be learned throughout school would without a shadow of a doubt open doors for all those so-called tones of jobs that are aim to bilingual people only. In the real world though, I do not see this occurring any time soon and this is not something I would fight for.

If Saint Johners cannot see the plus value of having a flourishing french community that are equally paying taxes, then let's move all of these bilingual jobs to Quebec where the critical mass of french is located. I actually work for a company where 98% of the french customers are located in Quebec.

I am curious though, why do they think the french are the reason why NB is going nowhere economically speaking?