View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 23, 2024, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
I don't doubt your assessment. I think I look for the same qualities in a city as you. Midtown Atlanta is getting there in terms of becoming a well-rounded and cohesive district.The amount of residential development has been incredible, with countless multifamily towers rising amid the district's office towers. Amenities are naturally following suit. There's already no shortage of restaurants. Some of the most interesting development is taking place in surrounding areas like Old Fourth Ward and West Midtown.

Charlotte looks like it's benefiting from smart development. I'd like to visit the city and check out some of the areas you mentioned. I've only passed through the city a couple times.

I guess I started these Atlanta and Charlotte comparisons when I responded to a negative comment about Downtown Atlanta. It tends to bug me when people fixate on Downtown Atlanta as if it's the center of activity like Uptown Charlotte or other downtowns. But there are some promising projects in the works that have it on the right track.
Makes sense. To be fair, I think Charlotte has had the benefit of learning from Atlanta. I do get worried when I see projects like Iron District in CLT, which seems cool, but then you realize they are spreading out development even more which was actually something that caused Atlanta’s core to not be walkable. I wish CLT would reconsider that location. Maybe shift Panthers stadium to there and then let the current stadium section become urban to bridge gap between uptown and southend. They need to think that through carefully.