View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 12, 2010, 11:14 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Gun View Post
I disagree. I wouldn't say that anyone wouldn't consider moving to the city now as compared to 5 years ago.
I disagree with this, and early 2000s was the best time for the city it seemed. I know *countless* people who have moved out in the last year+, and all gave me the same answers as to why. Granted, I am not living in the area anymore so the buzz may still be there and I am missing it, but my roots still go very deep there and no one I know (even the most hardcore of urbanites) is making any plans to stay or move into the city. And again, that is excluding the people I know who were living there and left.

Quote:
The city has always been a breath away from financial straights.
I don't think that is a fair statement at all. Before the last few years, things were actually going fairly smoothly and there seemed to be a nice buffer between what is going on now.

Quote:
Harrisburg's mantra should be to build them and build them tall. get as many people living in the city as possible. I feel the capital region has gotten out pretty light in this recession. If an entrepreneur wants to take advantage of the upswing in the economy he needs to start building now.
That's actually a really bad mantra [depending on what exactly you mean by "tall"], as you should only build tall when it makes financial sense to do so. In Harrisburg (and many cities, actually) it really doesn't make a whole lot of sense to go too tall. Also, saturation is something Harrisburg should really try to shy away from. One needs to look no further than Miami, Vegas, etc., to see what happens when you build too many condo buildings. I do agree that HBG needs to do all that it can to lure people back into the city but let's be realistic here: all of the pros to living in a downtown, HBG has very few of them unless you are a DT worker or right on 2nd St. and in the mix of things (and in many ways, that could actually be a con). HBG needs to focus on some more day to day amenities and being more of an after dark place if it wants to lure more full-time residents.

PA Pride: LOL what an ugly piece of junk that thing is! Typical Harrisburg: a great idea with some promise on paper that still somehow completely and totally fails in action thanks to the boneheads behind it all...not to mention they sucked up some prime real estate there for pure garbage.

Anyway, the last I heard the wonderful[/sarcasm] Mayor Thompson was trying to go after the developer as well, and here was the latest on that I could dig up:

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind...hompso_19.html