View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 3:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
I hadn't thought about that. I'd be a little more okay with a less tall building being built there than originally planned, but with the possibility of building taller in the future (a la Blue Cross & Blue Shield building).

Is the Shangri-La hotel no longer interested in having a property in Chicago? There's still time to join up with a potential new developer to be a part of this site!
Shangri-La is not a player in this scheme anymore. The whole hotel condo concept is no longer viable here for the next decade at least. Shangri-La likely will not be placed in this spot in the near or distant future. Having the hotel in somewhere Chicago though would be a huge benefit to the region as a whole.

Shangri-La is very highly respected worldwide.

To have a Chicago Hotel would only increase the presence and importance of Chicago in the world view. Like I said it does not have to be here on this particular site alone and likely it will not but Shangri-La is a world brand and not just a world brand chain.

It is a world player aka like the Red Book [Michelin] on food that was put out yesterday [ http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=186587 ] It would only be a positive mark on the city regardless of how much the rooms cost.

Chicago and Shangri-La need [or will benefit from] each other at some point, when I am not sure but I look forward to when they find a place.....

Quite frankly it is top notch and would be the first S-La hotel in the USA if it someday comes to fruition, somewhere DT, or within DT ... I would stay there in Chicago if I could and would utilize the top end spa for what it is worth. Trump's spa [although more modern and new is still below the top level services of the Peninsula for customer service]

I would figure that the Shangri-La could meet or beat expectations in that department in a few years.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Nov 17, 2010 at 8:19 PM.