View Single Post
Old Posted May 2, 2017, 8:38 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
I find it quite sad that we've having this discussion about what most consider the most progressive city in the south, yet I live in an upscale apartment downtown on Main Street, Columbia, SC - birthplace of the civil war and the heart and soul of the deep south - above a store across the street from... the homeless shelter and food bank. And not a single person in my building, or in any of the complexes on Main (all mostly owned by the same developer, and managed out of the same store front on Main, too) let alone the office staff ever complain about the homeless. In fact, there are a few dudes (edit: homeless dudes) who I know by name and vice-versa. The lawyer across the hall from me donates to both the food bank and homeless shelter his time and money, too.

Like I said prior: I see residential as the best particular option, because people who are willing to live downtown, all else equal, are more comfortable with the homeless issue. Yes, ARCH is a particular problem for downtown, but ARCH from a development perspective presents a bigger stumbling block to an upscale hotel or office development than it does a residential one.

Last edited by wwmiv; May 2, 2017 at 9:14 PM.