View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 25, 2013, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Today I noticed something I had never seen before.

I was looking at the roadwork repairs for the east-bound lanes of McGillavray between Irene and Pembina and was amazed. Now i have seen all types of construction, repairs and reconstruction before.....or so I thought. Usually for repair and overlay they replace worn concrete joints with cut-out patches, possibly diamond grind and then lay an asphalt overlay. Here the repaired the joints, replaced the curbs with I thought unusually tall concrete curbs (at least 18" or more) and are now laying a base of approximately 10" of crushed aggregate over the existing concrete street. I presume they will then put an asphalt overlay over top.

I just thought this was odd as I had never seen them lay aggregate over old concrete. I realize that the normal method of overlaying concrete streets with asphalt doesn't last long, usually no more than 2 or 3 years before the concrete joints start heaving up the new asphalt overlay.

Anyways, just an observation I had.
They did the same thing on Eastbound McGillivray on the previously resurfaced section nearer to Waverley. I thought it was odd back then too.

If you look at the drawings for it, the city explicitly asked for that:
http://winnipeg.ca/finance/findata/m...-3340-5-R1.pdf