View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 9, 2017, 5:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cganuelas1995 View Post
Well, they can always put in a B-Line as a placeholder for an RRT project. The two former B-Lines, 97 and 98, as well as the former portion of the 99 from Commercial-Broadway to Lougheed, have now been replaced with RRT. The 98 became the Canada Line, the 97 became the Evergreen Extension of the Millennium Line, and the aforementioned half of 99 became the second third of Millennium Line Phase I. Upgrading the 99 and 96 to RRT is still deep in it's planning phase and who knows, maybe the 95 will eventually become an extension of the Expo Line, be replaced with the legendary SFU gondola, or become its own independent RRT line.

I do agree and I'm sure that others, like the stuck-up, no-life, insanely vocal NIMBY's who get in line days in advance for any infrastructure open-house events so they can present their opinion as that of the entire community, and those morons of city hall, agree as well that the Canada Line doesn't need an extension. But I only agree with the "as of right now" aspect of the necessity for extension. But in the far future, with density increasing, it is highly likely it will be needed. Years and years ago, houses on large lots neighbouring my grandparents house got sold, torn down, and turned into those dense neighbourhoods with narrow 3 story houses sharing walls (not sure what the word is), and more are being built because of this ongoing densification craze. As a matter of fact, a developer bought a section of the backyard that my grandpa uses to grow vegetables was sold to a developer for a little over $1M, and my dads rental property has an estimated value of a little under $1M, while his neighbour got listed at a similar price, and offered to combine the lots and sell them together (to which my dad declined because you don't sell income). Increased density comes with increased traffic, with a nice feature called increased emissions as well as increased accidents and increased injuries and increased deaths and increased x and increased y and increased z and increased so on and increased so forth.

Frequent transit, be it an express bus route with a 10 minute or less frequency, a B-Line route, a BRT route (one that actually fits criteria, with segregated bus lanes, stations, TPI, and all that stuff), a light rail/tram line, and even a SkyTrain line, will increase property values within proximity of its service area, which would lead to developers, who tend to have lots of money, offering owners to sell their homes, which will result in those properties getting consolidated and turned into a higher density residential or residential/commercial area.

Surely, the lack of foresight will bite the morons of city hall in the ass and I hope it tears off a sizeable chunk, maybe even the entire cheek. And hopefully someone will stand up against the self-centredness of the NIMBYs and tell them that if they don't like the sight of something to simply not look at it or get used to it.
It's called a Townhouse.

It's actually especially bad because Richmond needs that extra capacity and extension for the next 40 years- the No.3 Rd Section won't support future demand in Richmond, increasing traffic enormously as the City moves away from its 'suburban' status to 'urban'.

The Canada Line as a whole, though, needs expansion- large parts of Cambie need to be ripped up again either for new stations, or expanding other ones to 5-car length.

Hopefully, we can also do the same for No. 3 Rd and extend the Canada Line, putting the current line below ground.