View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 12:20 PM
somewhere in-between

This could be big news for west Michigan - I don't know why this wasn't done sooner; it will be interesting to see how it impacts the area. Lake Michigan’s first marine highway designation, connecting Milwaukee with Muskegon, will apparently launch this Fall:

Quote:
Cross-lake shipping route to launch soon
By Rachel Watson | GRBJ
June 30, 2017

Midwest highways may be a little less crowded this summer, thanks to a cargo-shipping route across Lake Michigan. In lieu of sending freight trucks by land from Wisconsin through congested Chicago and up into Michigan — and vice versa — the new route will allow transit of goods from the Port of Milwaukee to the Port of Muskegon and back.

Les Brand, CEO of Grand Rapids-based logistics and transportation facilitator Supply Chain Solutions, announced the cross-lake shipping initiative at the Rail Supply Chain Summit 2017 in Chicago last month. Brand said SCS and its partners secured Lake Michigan’s first marine highway designation from the U.S. Department of Transportation as an alternative to trucking goods through one of the busiest routes in the country, I-80/I-94.

On the Muskegon side, the terminal will initially be at the Mart Dock. But future plans include construction of a new deep-water marine terminal at the site of Consumer's decommissioned B.C. Cobb power plant.