View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 8, 2009, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickinacan View Post
Ah, but you forget about South Surrey, which is essentially the shopping district for White Rock. There are a ridiculous amount of townhouses being built there. The current population is around 60,000, twice that of Port Moody. If Port Moody can have a B-Line, Skytrain (Eventually), West Coast Express and regular bus service... I think South Surrey (Or any of Surrey's Town Centres for that matter) could easily support rapid transit or any sort.
The Evergreen line isnt being built for Port Moody. Port Moody isnt the terminus of the Evergreen line. Port Moody just happens to lie rather fortunately along the NE route's line. Port moody also happens to lie within a continuously urban area, without any large swaths of undeveloped land between it and Burnaby.

Quote:
But Skytrain? Nah. Too expensive for the distance. It would make much more sense to run LRT through the South Fraser, as if it were an at-grade Skytrain. Connect all the Town Centres (Including Langley City and North Delta) together and reap the economic benefits. The whole South Fraser region is expected to swallow the vast majority of the population growth in the Metro Vancouver Region anyways, so why get them commuting on transit? It is an easy sell.
Why would you want LRT to South Surrey and White Rock? Why not run the LRT down King George and have a commuter rail line running from White Rock into surrey and then continuing along the existing rail lines into Vancouver. It would result in a much faster trip into surrey and especially downtown and is a much more efficient allocation of funds.

Quote:
And I'm sure it could be done for less than the $2.8 Billion they are estimating (Rather, grossly underestimating) to build the UBC line, to serve a tiny fraction of the population. It would be easier (And more cost effective) just to tell UBC to build a Surrey Campus around King George Station. Apparently the demand to get into SFU Surrey is actually now higher than the demand to get into their main campus. Why? Convenience! That's my rant for the day.
I'm sorry how is the UBC line a tiny fraction of the population? Despite the large size of the SOF communities, this hypothetical line down the King George would serve less people than a UBC line and staggeringly less businesses. Also why would UBC build a surrey campus? Many satellite campuses is not necessarily a good thing. I think one of the few redeeming qualities of UBC is their segregated campus.

For the record I dont live on either the proposed UBC line or White Rock line.