View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
It's more that Moose would be stopping in way more places, which would mean that Moose trains would be "blocking the line" when stopped. VIA wouldn't want to have to deal with that. At minimum 3 tracks would be needed at stations.
VIA is able to share double track with GO in Toronto and I don't see MOOSE being much different. If a MOOSE train is stopped at a station, VIA uses the other track. VIA owns the track so they can tell any oncoming MOOSE trains to wait for the VIA train to pass.

Quote:
Running in gaps between VIA trains might be feasible between Ottawa and Alexandria but definitely not between Ottawa and Smiths Falls where VIA currently uses pretty much all the available track time.. VIA's up to nearly 20 trains a day now, on a single track, with lots of compound schedule delays from other segments of the network making any sort of gap scheduling a logistical nightmare.
With single track you are correct, but IF MOOSE pays to double track the line, there will be more than enough capacity. Double track provides significantly more than double the capacity of single track.

I'm a huge MOOSE skeptic but the Smiths Falls subdivision is actually one of the more feasible routes. They might even be able to get VIA to split the cost of double tracking it. They have stated a willingness to work with regional transportations services. The bigger issue will be the Canadian Northern Ontario Railway Federal Bridge as it will be much more expensive to replace and I believe VIA doesn't own it (I gather CN does).