View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 3:03 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Yeah, it's sad. Walking downtown with Aisling (from Ireland), she can read all the old Newfoundland Irish names.

I knew, for example, that Talamh an Éisc meant "Newfoundland" - but to hear Aisling pronounce it passing a restaurant with that name... I had NO idea it sounded so beautiful. I want to record her saying it before she goes back to Dublin just to keep it handy.

And another example of change, as opposed to loss. Her name. It's spawned two names in Newfoundland. In Ireland, it's written Aisling and pronounced Ash-ling.

Here, we have the name Aisling, but it's pronounced Ains-lee. We also have the name Ashling.
Ireland's another good example. I know they've undergone a Gaelic revival of sorts (including in the literary field) but it's still a steep uphill climb. For most of the Irish population a good chunk of their cultural heritage (ie anything language-related) is still somewhat alien to them, or at least quite far in the background when compared to stuff in English like Jonathan Swift, James Joyce, etc. For example.