View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelingman04 View Post
It was an ok read but it didn't get in-depth enough and was kind of simplistic. But it is really good when others from outside the region, the US and around the world read these pieces!
This was a small collegiate journal article, not a full blown dissertation. I think it covered the subject very fairly and pretty accurately in terms of a general overview. Due to my personal experience, I can say that I believe one of Pittsburgh's challenges IS in retaining its educated youth. The majority of my high school and collegiate friends that grew up in Pittsburgh have moved to Philly/DC/NYC (including myself) since graduation. Interestingly, the majority of my acquaintances that have moved to Pittsburgh since graduation (5 years ago) have been those that haven't grown up in Pittsburgh. Not sure if this is because those of us that grew up there were bored and wanted something new (which can happen to anyone in any city regardless of size), or if Pittsburgh is lacking in its ability to appear attractive to local recent graduates, especially compared to other/larger cities in the area. Similar to the guy mentioned in the article, I love my hometown and always say that I would "in theory" like to move back to Pittsburgh one day especially in terms of possibily raising a family. Unfortunately, the longer I am in NYC and away from Pittsburgh, the more distant and unrealistic that prospect seems.....
I can say that comparing visiting home 5 years ago to my most recent trip over Christmas is remarkable in terms of how much more lively the city feels and how much more there is to do in many different neighborhoods. I think that if I had had a similar range of quality social opportunities that are offered today in neighborhoods like Lawrenceville and East Liberty throughout high school and college, I would probably have had a different view of living in Pittsburgh post-graduation. Hopefully newer grads are beginning to feel the differences that are definitely occurring and are more inclined to stick around.