View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 24, 2007, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
It's really hard to say. On one hand yes the winters are milder (but far more inconsistent), if you are used to the winter here and the outdoor sports/activites that can be counted on from December to March, I think it would be a poor trade.

As for the mountains - yes your average person seems to put more importance on mountains for prestige factor, but for me personally they're a great place to visit every couple years. I'd rather have the proximity to the lakes, shield country, etc.
The mountain skiing can be counted on during winter...not a poor trade. As for lakes, yes, you are correct there are far superior lakes close to Winnipeg - however, most in Calgary don't mind the 2.5 hour drive to Invermere, or the 6 hour drive to the Okanagan/Shuswap.

Mountains and "prestige" factor? I don't know too many Calgarians that don't get out to the mountains more often than every few years...since they are only 45 minutes away in some places.

The winter weather my be "inconsistent" - if you mean daily highs of +11c one day (like today), and -5c a week later?

Anyhow - my original point is, there is enough in the Calgary area to attract folks that wouldn't normally be attracted to Winnipeg (or possibly even Edmonton). But, to each their own.