View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 18, 2007, 1:55 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerDistrict View Post
But given a specific ultimatum.. wouldn't it be the right choice to cut from the
public art, rather than the airport itself?
Absolutely..

Say for instance the airport decided to build the new FAA control tower instead of scaling back the height of hotel and successfully argued the money could be better used making that a reality. That's an unforseen expense that i think would justify modifying the 2% rule.

But again, thus far (I just don't believe) that the airport has adequately explained why they are unable to meet the 2% requirement.

The $1.2 Billion project will be repaid mostly with airport user fees and fees paid by airlines to use the facility.

SMF markets the region to visitors and companies looking to relocate, which makes the art showcased at the airport that much more valuable imo.

Sacramento hasn't been a leader in the performing arts, though i think Sacramento holds it's own (save for facilities). But the art in public places here is impressive by any city's standards, as I'm sure you will agree......