View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 7:43 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
then why the lack of underpasses? I noticed that the new Normal, IL intermodal station also will eventually be overpass, even though for some reason they are delaying its' construction. This while the interior of the station actually ramps UP to the platform! Why in the world couldn't have constructed an entrance to an underpass from inside the station itself, completely isolated from the weather. What a lost opportunity. It could have even had escalators or those inclined moving sidewalks you see oversees.

Is this just an issue of domestic architecture firms having no clue how to design train stations or is there just an across the board lack of vision amongst all parties when it comes to the most sensible station design. What I'm asking is, have any of these folks been oversees or even studied the design of a foreign train station?
There are pedestrian tunnels being built too. Check out the Fridley Station for the Northstar commuter rail. I think price affects what gets built more than anything else. And the site's geography probably affects the price the most.
http://www.northstartrain.org/station_fridley.html