View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 3, 2013, 4:27 AM
Hong Kong

hkskyline's 2012 in SYDNEY

I return to Sydney after a long absence, flying in style at the front of the plane.

Welcome back.

With summer approaching, I roamed around the CBD looking for a nice place to eat that would not break the bank. This was a difficult task. The Shangri-La had a top-floor bar and restaurant that could barely fit my budget. I thought this view alone was worth the expense.

The dinner was really nice as well, and the service was by far the best I've had in Sydney. It wasn't too filling, but I could always buy a cheap snack later in the evening.

Cafe Sydney at Customs House is not very high up, but because of its prominent location next to Circular Quay, it was a prime location to spot the Harbour Bridge and the Opera House together. I wasn't able to secure a spot in the outdoor terrace, but wounded up in the big, crowded pit inside. The view was decent, but the food was awful.

O Bar is a revolving restaurant located on the 47th floor of Australia Square. Despite the bad weather, I wanted to scout the view to see if it was worth coming back on a clear day. The prices were not too bad - not as pricey as the Shangri-La.

Expecting no sunset views, I focused on my steak for a little while. As the revolving restaurant made its way around at almost the 180-degree mark, the sun peeked out and it was a firery red sunset.

When the skies cleared the next day, I did return.

Pyrmont and neighbouring Ultimo were industrial areas in the past, populated by wharves, yards, woolstores, and factories. However, the area declined and was abandoned in the 1990's. Redevelopments have revived this area with new buildings and residents.

The Anzac Bridge marks the district's border.

The full set : http://www.globalphotos.org/sydney.htm