View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post
I would think they'd do a criminal background check, a credit check, check for insurance, driving record, maybe ask for references, etc.
I've used Uber,
They do extensive background checks on drivers in all states as far as the law allows. They also supply the commercial insurance so that everyone is covered in a accident. The limits are 100K for BI and $25K for PD. Uber's insurance is written through James River Insurance Co and the insured is Raiser LLC which is a subsidiary of Uber. Uber Technologies is listed as additionally insured.

While the uber rider and driver are covered during a Uber transcaction. Note that if a driver is between calls, he is not covered by Uber.

Consider that his own insurance policy will not cover him for commuting between Uber pickups/dropoffs as he is using his personal insurance to operate in a manner similar to a taxi even though he doesn't have passengers.

So if the "off the clock" Uber driver has an accident during his commute, he is not covered under his own personal insurance policy and neither are pedestrians, other cars etc.

Kind of sketchy if you ask me.