View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post
Lifting the restriction on how many taxi licenses exist would help. Since ALL the taxi licenses in CoV (bar 1) are owned by large taxi companies, increasing the number of licenses would lower the price. That's essetially what Uber/Lyft do. They lift the restriction to infinity and let the market deal with it.
It's too late for the taxi industry. For decades they've lobbied to preserve and strengthen their monopoly position, generating a significant amount of public apathy and even animosity in the process. And now that technology has come knocking on their door they just keep trying their same old pattern of lobbying instead of innovating. The public is demanding better, and they know that ride share services can deliver right now. The taxi industry overplayed its hand and it's going to pay the price for that.

Unfortunately I don't really have a lot of love for Uber, either. I think it's climbing over the backs of its drivers towards an autonomous future. I hope that Vancouver gets a choice of ride share providers so that I have a choice over who to support.