View Single Post
Old Posted May 30, 2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog794 View Post
The way I wrote it down is: the bridge commission is there to get people across the harbour how ever they want outside of boat or plane. A lot of these people use cars. Metro Transit is of the same game, only across the city, and in buses or ferries, not cars. Metro Transit does the same thing as the bridges, only in boats, and not cars. So why not give Metro Transit the bridges so there can be more buses than cars.
As much respect I have for Metro Transit and the job they do, I shudder to think how things would be run if they were in control of the bridges as well. That being said, I could see a broader transit authority with power over both Metro Transit and the Bridge Commission. Kind of like the Metropolitan Authority... only with bridges.

Quote:
We need to look seriously at buying more articulated buses for mainly our heavy link routes, and taking the rest and putting them into regular mass routes to compensate for lack or room. 10 Articulated Link buses would make a huge impact on both systems. The money coming in from the bridges, would seriously improve the chances of improving the Link system, and ferry services fast. Convert our reg route Art. buses for Link service two. Ideally, electrifying the Link routes would be key. If they threw that into the deal of a third bridge, then yea, I'd probably be okay with the idea.
I know there was talk about more artics being purchased, but I have yet to see any RFPs or tenders put out. I recall from a meeting of the North-West Transit Advisory Committee (comprises Sackville and Bedford) that it was mentioned more MetoLink buses would be purchased in the furute, and some of them would be artics, but of course they need some for regular service as well; the ones they have now won't last forever, and they're required on other routes which need them.

But I think you can forget about electric trolley coaches. As interesting an idea it is, it's just not feasable when you consider the extensive diesel fleet they currently have, and the work required to string the overhead lines, not just on the downtown streets, but on highways and various other streets for flexibility, training of drivers and maintenance crews, modifications to the garages...
Of course there are the two diesel-electric hybrids they're purchasing for the downtown shuttle service. Those are rumored to be articulated.