View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 17, 2007, 4:16 PM
CHACUN SON GOÛT

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_encounter View Post
Salt Lake City??

NO!

Salt Lake City would do well to duplicate the energy of Midtown Sacramento.

I stand corrected! What was I thinking? But, you do have to give them credit for getting the Winter Olympics.

Never easy or timely.... I was telling a friend here in Chicago just yesterday how amazed i am at how quickly things happen in this city, compared to Sacramento which is much smaller. Sacramento's biggest obstacle is that there are special interests groups that cover everything from Fairy Shrimp, to the Swainsons Hawk, to Gaint Garter snakes, and NIMBY neghborhood associations for every corner of town etc...... Then there's the CEQA (which is severely abused). Of course let's not forgot visionless politicians who are afraid to take a stand..

Here in Chicago Mayor Daley tells the USOC that if they want a $500 million city backed guarantee of funds for the 2016 Olympics, then they can have it; and he delivers it overwhelmingly in the City Council within a week. No talks, workshops or charettes. They debate it, vote on it and move on it. End of discussion......

Sacramento talks and studies things to death and never make things become a reality. Not without a years of effort and then there's plenty of things that they've been talking about for decades that remain just talk....

Funny how Chicago calls itself the "The city that works", while I've always called Sacramento (which I still love) "The can't do city"..
My thoughts, exactly, about Sac! I've been saying this for years. Thanks for articulating it in this forum!