View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 5:01 PM
TL;DR

No, I've never seen any diagrams, but I have to imagine, given the costs involved, that IDOT/Metra will choose to build a wide-radius turn at 75th and Normal that allows Southwest Service trains to travel at a high speed onto the Rock Island tracks... but it probably won't be such a big turn as to take land away from Hamilton Park to the north.

Moving the houses seems like a nice idea, but I'm not sure to what extent the Lot Next Door program has taken hold there in Auburn/Gresham. Some of the "vacant lots" may in fact be owned by the residents of the existing houses. I agree though, that the red-brick Victorians on Normal Avenue are pretty cool. They'd be tough to move, but it might be worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
What makes you think this?
Wisconsin is submitting the application for money to buy 31 train sets. Presumably, these are the ones assembled in their own state (Talgo). I don't know if this includes, or is in addition to, the two sets the state already purchased. However, this could have national benefits. If a substantial portion of the current fleet on the Hiawatha, Lincoln Service, and Wolverine is replaced by Talgo passenger cars, then it frees up quite a few cars to be used on new lines around the country, including the new lines Illinois has planned for Chi-Dubuque and Chi-Quad Cities.