View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 3, 2005, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago3rd
Mine is from Trimet.
And you didn't answer how you get from Beaverton Transit Center to Wilsonville in 27 minutes........lol.
The article you posted says 27 minutes. Whatever.
No.......not whatever. It is from Trimet...the agency building the project.

http://www.trimet.org/commuterrail/project.htm

**EDIT....just saw that TriMet's own news release says 37 minutes. So that is where the mistake lies. Their report says one thing their news release says another***

So please tell me how you are going to drive the distance in 27 minutes....under the normal conditions of I-5, 217 and city streets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm
Streetcar, I agree totally. I'm not exactly a budget hawk, but 103.5 million for 10 trains/day? Seems like LRT would only cost 2x or 3x that and would run all day. It would be another thing if anyone were seriously talking about expanding this to Salem (or beyond).

IIRC, some government agency in Salem looked into doing a study of the possibility, but then changed their minds. There were a few articles about it in the Statesman-Journal.
Trimet almost always takes baby steps at first....ala the Street Car. Proves a need and finds an audience then expands it once it is successful. Remember.....they can run more trains as that area grows more and usage goes up. Portland is fantastic about thinking 20-40 years into the future. And the Stateman-Journal.....we know how far advanced Salem is.......not. Salem is a lot like Vancouver...so behind. By now we should have Max all throughout Vancouver....but they just sit up there rejecting it...then complaining about traffic. No forsight.

Last edited by Chicago3rd; Aug 3, 2005 at 12:23 PM.