View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 17, 2009, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Mind View Post
Exactly! It's their money, and their lifestyle. So why should they have to subsidize their lifestyle to support your dream of an urban utopia?

With an attitude like yours so should you.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I think I'd die a very early death of sheer frustration if my job was to convince people of their enviro-ecological responsibility. Honestly, preaching environmental awareness to suburban Vancouverites is like preaching racial equality in the Jim Crow South - though, instead of pitchforks and torches, I'd just be assassinated in a drive-by shooting by someone from Maple Ridge driving a 4x4 through the West End.

How about a compromise? Toll these drivers (who can obviously afford it) to make up for the tax revenue loss to the city (from not developing this prime real estate) and the loss in quality of life for city residents. It wouldn't have to cost any more than the toll on the Golden Ears Bridge - which, considering the dearth of transit options in Langley and Maple Ridge (and the fantastic transit in Vancouver and Burnaby), is actually a less intuitive tax on those drivers. Imagine, for instance, if those tolls went straight towards skytrain expansion in the aforementioned burbs. . .