View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPhil View Post
And you know what the problem is? Guildford is the only one on it's own corridor. Building to Guildford is a sacrifice to multiple other corridors.
I don't think either of these statements are necessarily true. We're getting into transit-fantasy territory here, but I've always envisioned a Guildford-Newton line independent of the Expo line that:

1) starts as B-line service to gauge ridership and upgrades (years down the road) to either LRT or Skytrain.

2) is expandable (and fork-able) at both ends, years down the road:

a) at the Guildford end
i) to Fraser heights; and/or
ii) south on 152nd to at least Fraser Hwy.

b) at the Newton end
i) to Cloverdale via heritage rail ROW; or
ii) to Kwantlen and Scottsdale via 72nd; or
iii) to points further south, perhaps all the way to South Surrey

Part of the reason I like the idea of a separate line is that it reiterates Surrey Central's status as one of the most important hubs in metro Vancouver's transit network.

I've bolded the most important part Regardless of what happens here, I'm fully in favor of extending the Expo line to at least Fleetwood in the medium term, and Langley in the longer term.

Doing anything new or innovative with Guildford-Whalley transit will probably depend on some sort of medium-term plan for mixed-use TOD in Guildford, however, of which I've yet to see any.