View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 18, 2012, 9:41 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
And I hope they never will.
One of the CHSR design parameters causing difficulties is how high to build the platforms? Existing Superliner rolling stock, existing commuter rail rolling stock, and future CHSR rolling stock will likely have different requirements. Low floor high speed rail sets like the Talgos might actually be favored in the West.
Not really. According to the Caltrain Compatibility Blog, the main conflict in the whole CHSR proposal is whether to integrate the Caltrain peninsula services with the standards of the HSR program - in particular common boarding platforms, which would mean a universal platform height. In the end, even with the current "bookend" approach currently under discussion, I think full compatibility will win out. It makes the most sense. They are serious about building a 21st century system that is designed to be a success. There shouldn't be much hesitation when it comes to something as fundamental as different rail equipment sharing the same platform.

Of all the reading on the CHSR program I've seen no evidence that they are considering something along the lines of a low boarding Talgo carriage. Instead, standard high level boarding has been specified.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding