View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 8:35 PM
ON3P Skis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth View Post
Here the 2006 draft of the 20 year master plan for YXX:

http://www.abbotsfordairport.ca/Asse....aspx?did=7176

I wonder how these recent announcements fit in with the eventual plans for the airport. They originally were proposing to build a new terminal in between the runways.
Looking through the YXX Master Plan briefly, it looks like this taxiway expansion fits into the plans perfectly. I'd love to see part of the expansion of YXX (perhaps the old terminal location) become a CFB home to an air mobility command. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the CF Air Command currently only has one base in BC at Comox, and the closet mobility command base is in Edmonton. In the event of a natural disaster (god forbid a large earthquake), and YVR's facilities are compromised, I think it would be prudent for the CF to have a base from which it can land/launch relief supplies and run logistics. I don't know how much of the base is left in Chilliwack, but a YXX air base would also be very close to their facilities there. This has probably a 2% chance of ever happening due to what I'm sure would be a public outcry of "militarizing our cities" but I still think it would be a smart thing to do, public opinion be damned.