View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
Great news. Downtown is finally turning into something that it should have been a long time ago. Its always been a little neglected because of its location. Developers over looked it, city leaders just started caring. In the next 10 years, Long Beach will be a solid city. It just need dense developments and solid retail and attractions to get people down there.

Theres a 7 story development going up on 1st and Alamitos. Kinda amazing seeing how most buildings right next door are barely 2 floors tall.
I totally agree. Like Oakland (and to some degree Sacramento) in the north, Long Beach suffers from being in the shadow of it's larger more famous neighbor. There's so much *potential* in Long Beach. It has great weather and is the most walkable city in the area but I wonder about the air quality. I heard it's not so great because of the port and oil. So I understand why they focused on tourism to take up the slack of declining manufacturing but there's just nothing to really compel me to go to Long Beach. Although the Queen Mary/Urban Adventures project seems like a step in the right direction what would really appeal to me is dynamic oceanfront city and it's something that is missing in Southern California (San Diego is on a bay and Santa Monica is a suburb.) To make that happen LB needs a lot more residential towers. I'm just worried the old mentality is at play, especially now that there's the distraction of the 16-day 2028 Summer Olympics, eleven years from now.