View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 6:46 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by brando View Post
It's possible it's an intentional leak to scare the council and the city that UT is willing to just build their own small arena. Austin would not only lose out on a way to build a modern arena but it would lose the one they have now which is way to small for a city as large and with the same profile as Austin.

That's a lot of concerts, ACC graduations and misc events the city would lose.

It seems fair that the city and UT split the cost of an area given the civic value it serves. I'm betting Zimmerman is going to vote against with the impression that no one in his district goes to concerts.
From what I've been told by family members who are reasonably big money donors.. this is not a scare tactic.

The University is planning on building an on-campus arena of a size that is reasonable for use as a basketball facility for the University with a large chunk of funding being re-routed towards the South-end zone expansion of the football stadium.

They aren't going to increase the size of the stadium so much as build more box seats and several more club level seats that bring in real money for the University and Longhorn foundation.

I think any chance of partnering with UT for an arena may have sailed for the city... the question then becomes does it make sense to build a giant concert venue in Austin without a major sports team tied to it?