View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 7:02 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
I'm aware of the tapered curve corners. Rather insignificant as curves, IMO.

I actually have concern over the concept. Subtle tapering tends to make towers look stumpier (i.e. Centennial Place) and was never fond of curved corners on a square footprint popularized in the late 70s and 80s. (I.e.Gold clad towers)
Subtle but significant I would say. I don’t mind this building being more boxy in part because it’s right in the middle of downtown and the only part visible on the skyline will be the top, which will be the most rounded, and it will have the crown feature which we’re told will be very nicely done. From the street level I think the taper on the corners is going to look good, subtle but noticeable and elegant. When it comes to architecture I’m pretty much just Joe public, but my favourite buildings and future buildings in Calgary are Telus Sky, The Bow, the Manulife building, and Bankers Hall. I don’t tend to favour boxes but if done well, and appropriate for where they’re being built, I do like them. I also like Centennial Place and even Jamieson Place is starting to appeal to me. Otoh I was going the other way on 3EC and I’m now kind of glad it was cancelled, and I’m strangely lukewarm on the Eau Claire Market proposal.